Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Jul 31 12:07:30 UTC 2010

On 07/30/2010 06:04 PM, Harley Laue wrote:
> Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> It does not access your passwords, but Amarok loads the last.fm module
>> on start which can't be done otherwise for logical reasons: imagine
>> the delay every time you switch to another local music item, people
>> would complain that Amarok is slow on every item change. Better have a
>> delay at start than having a delay each time a new  module needs to be
>> loaded.
> I'm curious as to why (or if) it's wanting the kwallet before you ever
> enter your last.fm login/password. If you haven't entered in that, I
> can't see any good reason to need kwallet until that info has been
> entered. It's been quite some time since I've had a first run of
> Amarok though.

IIUC it's because we can't know that the credentials are clear until we
open the wallet to check.

However, we could probably mitigate this by having a flag in amarokrc
file that indicates whether there are non-blank Last.fm credentials or not.

Or, store the username in amarokrc and only the password in the wallet,
and use that as the indication whether or not there are credentials.

--Jeff