Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Frank Steinmetzger Warp_7 at gmx.de
Fri Jul 30 13:07:25 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, 29. Juli 2010 schrieb Marcel Hilzinger:
> Hi folks,
> I'm new on the list.
>
> I'm using Amarok a lot for tests and on a daily base. Here some suggestions
> to make amarok even rock more. If this kind of feedback is useful, I have
> some more ideas :-)

What I don’t really consider “elegant” is the loud music I’m greeted with upon
first start. I was just using a new account to test the kwallet problem, and
then I was BOOMed at by this audibly compressed music. I’m not saying the
music itself is bad, but due to it being so highly compressed, it conveys a
rather unnatural atmosphere, opposed to what (I reckon) is its intention.

At first start, I only see the settings dialogue without the main window,
which has two implications:
- I don’t necessarily associate the music with Amarok
- I have no intuitive way of stopping the music (short of decreasing or muting
  the main volume).

The effect it might have on a first-time user:
- the music distracts from the settings dialogue, which is unknown to the
  user, but definitely needs to be looked at in detail
- the user may even close the dialogue immediately just to see what happened
  and to stop it

My reaction when I first heard the music was to look at my browser windows if
some flash has gotten through my ad blocker. As mentioned, I am not
categorically against the music, but I would prefer the Amarok 1 way: have a
default playlist loaded with the jingle, ready for playback whenever I’m ready
to.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
UNIX is not user-unfriendly.