Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Jul 30 15:40:37 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 17:10, Ben K <benkloester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Myriam, why are you so resistant to constructive feedback?

Am I? This is a discussion, no? Does that mean only users not involved
with Amarok are allowed to say something? Great... And I didn't say
you had to use the wallet, read again.

>  Every time someone provides feedback, it seems that many of the Amarok devs
> have a knee-jerk reaction to try and shut down the poster. In general I've
> noticed a tendency of framing responses so as to avoid making any change not
> already foreshadowed by amarok devs.

Just to make this clear: I am not a developer, you seem to assume a
few things here that are not true.

> For the many, many Gnome Amarok users, Amarok is the only program prompting
> for kwallet. I literally get prompted for a password every time I start
> Amarok. I use last.fm, so I don't mind so much. For those that don't, the
> preferred behaviour seems foolishly obvious: don't bother them with an
> un-needed prompt.

Oh well, I didn't think about Gnome, sorry. That is a valid use case
indeed..What saddens me is that disabling the wallet is a security
problem, regardless of the desktop in use, as the password will then
be stored in clear text.

Also, AFAICT, there already is a patch for that wallet behavior in the
current git, at least the changelog indicates so: "Last.fm features
that require user authentication are now disabled by default."

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org