Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Marcel Hilzinger mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de
Fri Jul 30 09:15:38 UTC 2010

Am Freitag, 30. Juli 2010 10:52:29 schrieb Myriam Schweingruber:
[...]
> > - kwallet-
> > Second question on amarok start is about kde briefcase. Why will Amarok
> > access my passwords, when I did not even set up any within amarok? So the
> > same suggestion here: just ask the user about kwallet, when he entered
> > some user data for last.fm or whatever. Many users will never do so.
>
> It does not access your passwords, but Amarok loads the last.fm module
> on start which can't be done otherwise for logical reasons: imagine
> the delay every time you switch to another local music item, people
> would complain that Amarok is slow on every item change. Better have a
> delay at start than having a delay each time a new  module needs to be
> loaded.

Please reconsider: If a user chooses to set up kwallet or has already set up
kwallet otherwise, then amarok will prompt for the kwallet password on each
startup, even if you are not using last.fm.

I'm sure, there is a workaround for this problem without having to disable the
last.fm plugin. Maybe something like: as long as there is no user data
entered, store an (empty) account in clean text.

Possible quick solution: tell the user, that the last.fm module is asking for
the password input, so (s)he knows which module has to be disabled to get rid
of the kwallet prompt.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marcel Hilzinger

Linux New Media AG, Putzbrunner Str. 71, 81739 München, Germany
Tel: +49 89 99 34 110, Fax: +49 89 99 34 1199
mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de - http://www.linuxnewmedia.de
Linux New Media, the Pulse of Open Source: Lawrence, KS - Málaga
Manchester - München - São Paulo - Warszawa