Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Jul 30 08:52:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:44, Marcel Hilzinger
<mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm new on the list.
>
> I'm using Amarok a lot for tests and on a daily base. Here some suggestions to
> make amarok even rock more. If this kind of feedback is useful, I have some
> more ideas :-)
>
> The first start is not very smooth.
> -codecs-
> On OpenSuse you are first asked for MP3-Codecs-Support. This is a mess with
> approx 20 mouseclicks. My suggestion: start the mp3-codec question only, if a
> user want's to play an mp3-file, not on amarok start.

That does not depend on Amarok, but on the distribution it is making a
check and triggers that question.

> - kwallet-
> Second question on amarok start is about kde briefcase. Why will Amarok access
> my passwords, when I did not even set up any within amarok? So the same
> suggestion here: just ask the user about kwallet, when he entered some user
> data for last.fm or whatever. Many users will never do so.

It does not access your passwords, but Amarok loads the last.fm module
on start which can't be done otherwise for logical reasons: imagine
the delay every time you switch to another local music item, people
would complain that Amarok is slow on every item change. Better have a
delay at start than having a delay each time a new  module needs to be
loaded.
Also, you can deny kwallet access, just be aware that the last.fm
credentials are then stored in clear text. You decide on the security
level you want on your computer, but not suggesting it at all would be
a serious security fallacy.

> - default Music directory -
> Third (and final question) on amarok start is about the Collection folder. My
> suggestion here: just use Music without question. Users, who store there
> music whithin this directory will be happy immediately, all other users, who
> do not use this folder will have to open the setup dialog anyway.

(already answered by another poster).

I don't know which exact version you use, latest stable is 2.3.1 and
OpenSuSE ships version 2.3.0, but the next version (2.3.2) already has
a significantly faster startup. It's only the first start that needs
some configuration.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org