SoundMenu work

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Mon Jul 12 20:19:38 UTC 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010 17:27:11 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> I have at least one problem with the SoundMenu proposal …

Are we critiquing the proposal too? :-D

If so, the artwork requirements part should be rewritten (it requires
unnecessary icons, doesn't take into account disabilities, mandates custom
widgets, the icon names are confusing, etc.).

The menu structure should also be scrapped, it seems to try to explicitly
define non-standard widget behaviour.

The title part seems to only define icon names (wtf?), and not the actual
title, as is implied by the heading. The scroll-wheel behaviour documented
here also doesn't have anything to do with the title of the menu. Also,
constantly monitoring sound output to see whether it is above a certain
threshold just to change the icon seems to be a waste of CPU time.

If muting isn't available, the muting widget should be actually disabled.
Also; a button that magically changed text is not what I think most users are
familiar with for muting, something like what KMix has I think would be more
appropriate.

And now I got bored, but the specification is also lacking proper use cases and
a clear description of the problem it is intended to solve. Granted, I only
have a basic course in HCI under my belt, but I think Canonical should get a
professional HCI guru to clean up this proposal before attempting to get
people to adopt it.

--
Martin Sandsmark