Many thanks for Amarok !

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Jan 22 16:27:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Donn Washburn <n5xwb at comcast.net> wrote:
> What is the problem with xine?  It seems every distro is avoiding xine.
> It has worked better than gstreamer for years.

I always liked to say "Xine is fine!", because this used to be a nice
library for multimedia decoding, and it kinda grew on us.

Sadly, these days xine is hardly maintained any more (from what I
heard, one developer is left), and it has countless bugs for which we
need weird hacks and workarounds in Phonon.

So, as hard as it is, we think it's time to switch to something else.
VLC is very high quality software, and the developers are cooperative
and plentiful. Adding to that, VLC is fully cross-platform, so it
works on Linux, Windows, and Mac. This makes many things easier for us
:)

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer