Amarok Bug

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at
Fri Jan 15 12:03:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Sean Hodges
<seanhodges84 at> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM,  <fester at> wrote:
>> I just loaded Amarok, and while it would appear to be playing things,
>> it would generate no sound.
>> I found the fix in the Ubuntu forums: sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg
>> You shouldn't have to go the Ubuntu forums to make Amarok work.
> Your best bet is to subscribe to this bug, and maybe leave a comment
> offering your work-around:
> As others have said, this is a packaging problem in Ubuntu, and can't
> be fixed by Amarok developers. The usual approach for media playback
> in Ubuntu is to recognise missing the codec and allow you to install
> it when you first try to play an MP3 file. It appears this
> functionality has not been patched into their Amarok build.

Yes, Kubuntu already has done something to solve this issue:

Normally, when you install Amarok, a dialog will come up, asking you
to install MP3 support automatically. However, that might not work if
you used Ubuntu, or so. I'm really not sure about the details.

Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer
Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe - -