Amarok Bug

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Jan 15 12:03:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Sean Hodges
<seanhodges84 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM,  <fester at rucls.net> wrote:
>> I just loaded Amarok, and while it would appear to be playing things,
>> it would generate no sound.
>>
>> I found the fix in the Ubuntu forums: sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg
>>
>> You shouldn't have to go the Ubuntu forums to make Amarok work.
>
> Your best bet is to subscribe to this bug, and maybe leave a comment
> offering your work-around:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amarok/+bug/346246/
>
> As others have said, this is a packaging problem in Ubuntu, and can't
> be fixed by Amarok developers. The usual approach for media playback
> in Ubuntu is to recognise missing the codec and allow you to install
> it when you first try to play an MP3 file. It appears this
> functionality has not been patched into their Amarok build.

Yes, Kubuntu already has done something to solve this issue:

Normally, when you install Amarok, a dialog will come up, asking you
to install MP3 support automatically. However, that might not work if
you used Ubuntu, or so. I'm really not sure about the details.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer