Amarok Bug

Sean Hodges seanhodges84 at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:54:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM,  <fester at rucls.net> wrote:

> I just loaded Amarok, and while it would appear to be playing things,
> it would generate no sound.
>
> I found the fix in the Ubuntu forums: sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg
>
> You shouldn't have to go the Ubuntu forums to make Amarok work.

Your best bet is to subscribe to this bug, and maybe leave a comment
offering your work-around:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amarok/+bug/346246/

As others have said, this is a packaging problem in Ubuntu, and can't
be fixed by Amarok developers. The usual approach for media playback
in Ubuntu is to recognise missing the codec and allow you to install
it when you first try to play an MP3 file. It appears this
functionality has not been patched into their Amarok build.

Regards,

Sean