Automated Playlist Generator: Congratulations! And feature request (Copy playlist result to Media player)

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 13:09:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Christian Esken <esken at kde.org> wrote:
> Now for my feature request: I would like to copy the results from the APG to
> my media player. Is it correct, that this is not possible at the moment?

As Bart pointed out, there's the "save current playlist" button, and
the saved playlist can be sync'ed to an external media player.  IMO,
this is the best way to connect the APG and media devices.

The APG stores rules for creating playlists, not playlists themselves.
 Since only the *results* of the APG can be copied to media devices,
and since the *results* of the APG end up in the active playlist, and
since we've already got a (mostly working) mechanism for copying the
active playlist to media devices, I think we've got everything we
need; I don't see how the APG can be changed to "make its playlists
available to the rest of Amarok" because it doesn't have any playlists
to make available.  Bart and I have discussed this before without
resolution; I think the fundamental problem is that neither of us
understands the other's subsystem (Me: APG :: Him : PlaylistProvider)
well enough to explain convincingly to the other why the APG should or
should not also be a PlaylistProvider.

--
Soren Harward