no sound

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 05:50:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having general trouble with the interface for amarok.  Are there
> sample sound files?
>
> Generally I use GNOME mplayer, which works fine for my internet radio --
> primarily what I listen to.  I tried adding the bbc to amarok, but can't
> get it to play :(
>

> Not sure what to click on to test the sound settings.
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

If you prefer to check from within Amarok itself, you can go from the
Settings menu, Configure Amarok > Playback > Configure Phonon, select
the device you want to test, and click the test button. Move all the
working devices to the top of the list, and move those which do not
work to the bottom. If you use Pulseaudio, you may find only one
device listed.

It is possible that BBC disallows its stream to be played. Very often,
even from their own site, I can't listen to streams nor play video
files, because I'm in the USA. So it would be best to test with other
streams besides that of the BBC. Many are available in the Tools >
Scripts -- already configured properly for you.

Also, please be sure you have the proper codecs installed. And xine is
preferred over gstreamer as a backend to phonon; you can check your
settings there in Configure Phonon, in the Backend tab.

All the best,

Valorie
--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .