BUG Report: Amarok 2.3.1 Queues and Pattern Matching

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 03:57:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Richard E. Perlotto II
<perlotto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Afternoon,
>
> I recently upgraded from Amarok 2.2.0 to 2.3.1 (2010-06-10 build).  How queues function
> related to the pattern matching has changed between these versions.  In the previous
> version you were able to do a pattern match on a play list and add those songs to the
> queue.  You could then do a second pattern match and add those songs to the queue as
> well.  This could be continued until you had a queued play list to enjoy.
>
> The current version has altered this behavior.  When you do a pattern match and add
> songs to the queue, and then repeat that process, it removes previous songs in the
> queue if they are not a part of the new pattern match.  This means the only way to add
> songs from different areas from a large play list is to manually scroll through all
> the songs to add them to the queue.
>
> Obviously I believe that the way the queues and pattern matching behavior in 2.2.0
> is how I would expect and enjoyed it working.  Can this be corrected?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Richard
>
> P.S.
>
> I am not interested in Dynamic Play lists, or creating several sets of play lists.
> I like having the majority of my collection in a single play list that I normally
> just play random tracks , and occasionally I would enjoy a specific set of songs
> to be played which are not always the same since it will depend on my mood what I
> am interested in hearing at that moment.

Since Richard came into #amarok, I decided to follow his use-case and
test. I loaded in all my Rock tracks, which is ~11K (absolutely crazy,
and I won't be doing that again!). Searched for The Killers, and
selected/cued all the tracks using the right-click context menu. By
the way, the only way one can successfully do searches with this large
mass in the playlist is by choosing to "Show only matches".

Then I searched for Pink Floyd, and selected / right-click / queue
this track, which got them all queued, but starting from 1. However,
The Killers continued to play through the first album I had queued up.
So although the display was unexpected, Amarok continued to play the
original queue. And when I went back and researched for / selected /
right-clicked on The Killers tracks, the choice was "Dequeue Track" --
although there is no queue numbers showing.

Then I searched for "reaper" and queued up "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"
by Blue Öyster Cult. That was queued as #1, and soon enough started
playing, leaving the rest of the supposedly queued up Killer and Pink
Floyd tracks unplayed.

Once Reaper was finished, Amarok started on the track appearing on the
playlist next, which happened to be Blur. The Killers and Pink Floyd
were ignored.

I don't use Amarok like this, but I agree that present queue behavior
in 2.3.1 and GIT are both unexpected, and somewhat broken.

Valorie
--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .