Feedback: simple but important issue

Marc Schmid schmid.m at access.uzh.ch
Tue Apr 13 07:29:29 UTC 2010

Dear all

I'm slowly getting used to Amarok (changed from GNOME to KDE). Seems to be a
good player - I'm just not yet able to customise the appearance in detail.

One - somehow simple - issue would be crucial to solve:
Using a basic installation of Kubuntu (9.10, 64 bit), the player did not work.
The problems were the codecs and n o t the xine or pulseaudio (as often found
in the forums - I guess this is only a problem if several desktops are
installed).
-> For a clean Kubuntu installation one needs to install:
1. some libxine (the base and ffmpeg packages)
2. from packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free and non-free the win64 or win32
codecs.
3. eventually also kaffeine (this is written on ubuntu.org - but should also
work without).

I strongly recommend to implement a notification within the program that tells
you "missing codec" instead of "too many errors, playlist stopped" - so that
one at least knows that the codecs are the problem (if you do not want to
automatically install the packages from medibuntu.org). Of course better would
be a autoinstallation (question at first amarok startup) or a notification at
the first start that tells you where/how to get the codecs.

All the best

Marc