Dependency Updates for TagLib and TagLib-Extras

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Sep 17 18:46:57 UTC 2009

Amarok now depends upon TagLib 1.6 and Taglib-Extras 1.0.0.

TagLib 1.6 brings with it a very large number of bugfixes, some
critical, as well as support for three new formats: WAV, ASF, and MP4.
These formats were previously only available (in released form) via
Taglib-Extras. With TagLib-1.6 out, and with us feeling that the
bugfixes are of great importance, we're depending on it to encourage
packagers to adopt it very quickly.

TagLib-Extras 1.0.0 drops redundant formats while keeping two: Real
Audio and the popular Audible file format. The remaining file formats
have also changed namespaces, in order to prevent conflicts with TagLib
in the future.

Amarok has already been updated to work with these versions, in
anticipation of our upcoming RC. Those with MP4/ASF/RMFF/Audible files,
please help us test everything out to make sure there are no issues.

Until your distributions provide these versions of the packages, you
should do the following:

1) Pester your maintainer to quickly update. Make sure they compile in
MP4 and ASF support, which sadly is not the default.
2) Pester them again.  :-)
3) TagLib source is available at
http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/files/src/taglib-1.6.tar.gz ...
installing from source to /usr/local is simple, and it is easy to remove
later. Be sure to compile in support for MP4/ASF.
4) TagLib-Extras source is available at
http://kollide.net/~jefferai/taglib-extras-1.0.0.tar.gz. This is also
easy to install from source, and easy to remove later.
5) Git Amarok will now build again.

Thanks!
--Jeff