Improved Daap support

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Tue Sep 8 19:24:00 UTC 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 3:17 PM, dunsens at web.de wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have added a config for manually configured daap shares (my one is
> at a
> different subnet for example).iI have also readded a password
> dialog, if
>
> http://www.gitorious.org/~duns/amarok/dunss-clone/commits/config-ui-for-daap
>
> Both works for me with my firefly server, but not with rhythmbox
> exported
> collections. I'll try to fix this as well. for know I would like to
> know if I
> can push a merge request and I'd like to get some feedback.

unfortunately you have pretty bad timing...we just entered feature
freeze for the 2.2 release. So you can make your merge request and ask
for comments, but it won't get in properly until we open trunk again
for 2.2.1 or 2.3 (depending on what we decide to do).

however, as you do just have a git branch it'll be easy to rebase over
the new changes.

> for the future it seems to be unclear if daap support should be in
> services or
> in the collection browser. imo it should be in the collection
> browser but
> maybe get its config through the services tab. without knowing much
> about the
> service/collection architecture i'd propose some hybrid of a
> ServiceCollection, which shows up in the collection browser (because
> that
> unifies the powerful search queries over all dbs), but is configured
> as a
> service. this logically only makes sense for services which provide
> a "shared"
> collection.

I think it makes logical sense to configure it in the Services pane.
However, nikolaj pointed out that it's basically really really hard to
do that technically, so we need to evaluate our options and see what
is worth it i guess.

leo
=