Improved Daap support

dunsens at web.de dunsens at web.de
Tue Sep 8 19:17:53 UTC 2009

hi,

i have added a config for manually configured daap shares (my one is at a
different subnet for example).iI have also readded a password dialog, if

http://www.gitorious.org/~duns/amarok/dunss-clone/commits/config-ui-for-daap

Both works for me with my firefly server, but not with rhythmbox exported
collections. I'll try to fix this as well. for know I would like to know if I
can push a merge request and I'd like to get some feedback.

for the future it seems to be unclear if daap support should be in services or
in the collection browser. imo it should be in the collection browser but
maybe get its config through the services tab. without knowing much about the
service/collection architecture i'd propose some hybrid of a
ServiceCollection, which shows up in the collection browser (because that
unifies the powerful search queries over all dbs), but is configured as a
service. this logically only makes sense for services which provide a "shared"
collection.

additionally when exmapping amarok i have found out that loading a 67000 daap
share takes roughly 50 mib heap space with me. DaapCollection inherits
MemoryCollection which simply stores everything in memory. i think a
"TemporaryCollection" which uses the always available mysql (either mysqle or
the server) as its db and creates temporary tables there to avoid loading
everything in ram would make sense, but i am not in mysql dev. (rhythmbox btw
also stores everything in memory and seems to scale even worse).

cheers,
duns
--
My blog: http://whilos.blogsite.org