Amarok 1.4 collection and artwork importing

Pedro de Carvalho Gomes pedrogomes81 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:52:41 UTC 2009

>>> I honestly don't understand why you won't listen to the actual facts
>>> being told to you by the main Amarok developer working on the SQL
>>> collection -- specifically the scanning and database schema and
>>> insertion parts of it.
>>
>> What you've told me was that files SHOULD be rescanned
>
> No, I said MUST.

I've said "should" because the "collection importer" wasn't supposed
to import files from A1 (as you have mentioned) and it in fact DOES
(see the log I've put at my e-mail  1:00pm UTC), And I can't really
tell for sure if files were rescanned or not. But whatever...

>> I  ask
>> the feasibility to use the URLs from a query to the the A1 database as
>> input to the collection scanner, as an alternative to the directories
>> selected at the treeview. I've stated to rescan each file, NOT to
>> REUSE any A1 data at all. Those are distinct things.
>
> That was very confusingly put the first time:

I've read it again, and I don't thing it was confusing. Anyway,
English is not my primary language, and sorry if I haven't made myself
clear.

> "I think that the valid Urls returned from the SQL query
> could be used as the input of the rescan, as an alternative to the
> directories chosen at the "Collection Folders" treeview. This way the
> import Tool would mark the collection folders."

> Mainly because of the last sentence there. Regardless, the
> collectionscanner does not currently allow this. Theoretically it could
> be changed to do so, but I prefer to leave it alone -- right now it
> works quite stably and rearchitecting both it and the scan result
> processor to accept files instead of directories isn't something that
> seems worth it for the very few numbers of users it would help,
> especially when a simple full rescan fixes the problem anyways. I'm much
> more interested in improving scanning performance for all users, which
> has been a focus of mine recently.

One way to do this it to import the [Collection Folders] section from
A1's ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc. But I agree that it would take some
work. I wasn't suggesting you to implement it. All I've asked was what
would the be the consequences. Thank you for the opinion, I'll sure
take into account when I decide if I am going to implement it or not.

>> I really do want to be constructive. I've been very clear about this
>> since my first to my last e-mails.
>
> No, they have not been very clear.

I won't argue with that. It is as clear as it can be that I wanted to
help Amarok. I've just asked some feedback about the situation, and
have also sent useful information. (if you didn't receive the mail
with the logs i've sent to the list, I may re-send).

>> And all my messages have been quiet
>> polite and well-toned.
>
> No, they haven't.

Again, it's up to you (and anyone else) to decide it. If you think
I've failed to be polite, I apologize. I wan't my intention. Anyway,
you haven't been polite at all.

>> I've presented at least three different
>> situations at them (the partial import bug
>
> It's not a partial import bug, because there's no real import happening.

Man, I'm telling you there is import: partial, erroneous, real, etc...
whatever. The files are listed on my Local Collection browser, I can
add the to playlist and even play them! Do you want a VNC/SSH account
on my machine, so you can check it with your eyes?

>> , my "idiot" suggestion and
>
> I like that you put the quotes around "idiot", as if to imply that I
> called you one. Which I haven't.

Now, when it seems that finally you've understood what I've proposed,
it doesn't seem idiot anymore. But before, you've been very ironic
about it, although you haven't used the word "idiot".

>> the misleading button name).
>
> And multiple times I've suggested or agreed with ways that this
> misleading could be remedied.

I know you've agreed  with that. It's clear when you replied yesterday
at 11:39 pm (UTC). But the fact that you seemed to be unable to
separate my points led me to exemplify all of them all over again,
just to try to undo the mess.

>> But you've chosen to mock my first
>> e-mail,
>
> No, I didn't mock your first e-mail.

Try to look for those phrases on your  e-mails at this thread. They
are just samples. If there is a need, I can get some more (and there
are the personal mails also):
- We have a truck!?!?!
- It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not.
- If scanning makes your machine thrash, fix your machine.

>> and then to attack me because of the suggestion on the other
>> ones
>
> You say "attack", I say "present the facts in an increasingly frustrated
> manner".

I've understood all your points from the first time they were
presented. But you've failed to understand mine (which I have agreed
that may have been my fault). But it doesn't give you any right to be
rude.

>> , instead of looking at the big picture.
>
> Lulz.

Whatever. I've already shown my points.

>> Anyway, let's try to start over again: I'm new to Amarok code, I've
>> found a case that causes a bug, and I'd like to help to solve it.
>> Would you, or anyone one else, help me to fix this?
>
> I have already detailed in a very specific fashion exactly how you could
> go about fixing this. Instead of following up on this, you ignored it
> entirely.

No, I didn't ignore them. I'll really take them into account when I'll
try to fix it. Specially you bid that the problem is caused by
corrupted data.

Thank you for the useful information

Pedro