Getting started developing

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:19:33 UTC 2009

> I don't know where to begin. I seem to remember Lydia posting
> on a blog about junior jobs, but I'm not sure what the status of those jobs
> are.

Emailing this list is a good start! Another tip is to hang out in
#amarok @ freenode.net The Amarok devs are very much IRC based, more
so than most open source projects. You'll almost always be able to
find a dev around in there.

The Amarok code base is large and complicated, particularly if you
have never worked on a large scale project before. I don't know the
status of the JJs, it is up to the devs to post those JJs, and
frankly, most of us are lazy or forget to make them. I would suggest
browsing around bugs.kde.org (searching for amarok of course), find a
bug that looks interesting and confined to a small area.

Here are some places to avoid, for now, because they are
large/complex. If it involves any of the following, be wary:
Database
QueryMaker
Meta::
Take that all with a grain of salt.

If you have any ideas for an applet, checking out how some of the
current context applets works would be a good idea.

If you are feeling ambitious, you could check out the "Organize Files"
(Copy/Move to Collection) feature. It's had a lot of
performance/deleting-files issues, and for the most part is a wholly
self contained system: Inputs come in, stuff comes out. Search the
list/bugs.kde.org for info regarding it, or ask.

Another dev might have some better ideas for JJs, lets wait and see.
Again, I can't stress enough: hang out in #amarok when you're online
and in the Amarok mood :-)

Casey