last.fm: suggested artists...

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Fri Oct 16 13:34:30 UTC 2009

On 16 Oct 2009, at 02:47, Chris Joelly wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> i am curious if anyone has a suggestion for the last.fm suggestion
> "problems" with amarok :-)
>
> The last.fm artists suggestion feature is somehow nice, abut it
> seems to
> have serious problems. Imagine lots of artists with the same name,
> then the
> suggestions are a really mess. Ok, its only artist name based, so
> this -
> i think - is a problem by design. As the feature is not really good at
> the moment in Amarok 2 - as i get the impression - on the mailing
> list,
> maybe if this feature is improving over time it would be good to
> rethink
> the "artist selection algorithm"? maybe it is possible to take the
> "genre" tags into account so that the suggestions increase in quality?
>
> Sure, this is not the 100% solution, but i think on average the
> suggestions will be better. last.fm has the troubles with their
> recommendations too, also by design :-) But maybe things approve if
> the
> algos are better designed and take more parameters into account?

Thank you for pointing out deficiencies in last.fm's recommendation
code. However, you must understand, we are not last.fm. So sending us
a mail is a bit misguided. We do not provide the recommendations---
that's the whole point of last.fm. So taking it up with them would be
much more productive (if they listen, which I doubt they will).

leo
---
Leo Franchi				(512) 775 5637
Tufts University 2010