skip a directory during scan

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Oct 14 16:16:12 UTC 2009

Valentin Rouet wrote:
>>> The other thing to figure out is whether to make such exclusions
>>> recursive or not. I would generally suggest yes, because people can then
>>> individually add subfolders of such directories to the collection and
>>> they would still be scanned (since they'd be passed as separate paths
>>> into the scanner). But I'm interested in thoughts.
>> +1 for recursive. Makes the most sense, I'd say.
>
> What about giving the choice on each excluded folder ?
> It would be easy to write into the file something like "recursive=true/false",
> and this way it would be possible for instance to exclude audio files located
> directly in one's music folder without having to add all subfolders
> individualy to the collection (which can be really long if there are a lot of
> them).

I thought about that. I would make a claim (probably true in 99.99% of
all cases) that if you want to add all subfolders individually you
probably want the top level, and vice versa. And if not, that you should
really organize your music sensibly.

Doesn't mean I won't decide it's a good idea. What I'm more concerned
with, however, is the default. I think that by default, if there is no
recursion directive in the file, it should be recursive.

--Jeff