skip a directory during scan

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Oct 14 14:59:05 UTC 2009

Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think it would be better to have Amarok check for files named
>>> ".amarok_ignore" (or something similar) and skip folders that contain
>>> such a file. Maybe the dot should even be omitted for better
>>> portability, because last time I checked it was impossible to create
>>> files starting with a dot using Windows Explorer (you had to use the
>>> command prompt, but most Win users are scared senseless by the mere
>>> thought of that, and/or wouldn't think of the possibility).
>> +1 for this idea.
>>
>> I'd find this feature useful too.
>>
>> Adding an option to the Filebrowser to "Hide a directory from the
>> scanner" would assist in creating this ignore files.
>
> I like the idea too, but I would suggest not making it a "hidden
> feature", but rather implementing a GUI dialog for this. Hidden
> features are always problematic, in that they are... well, hidden, and
> as such get little testing.
>
> If we implement this feature, I think we should go all the way and do
> it properly :)

Sure. It would simply go in as a "hidden feature" first because I'd code
the backend part first :-)

The real question is what to call the file and whether it'd be hidden. I
have some ideas related to another project as far as what to call it. As
for whether it's hidden (i.e. starts with a dot) for Amarok users on
Windows they could do this within the collection setup directory, so
that partially eliminates that problem.

However, the thing I'd be more worried about is that people who aren't
really aware of how it works might not realize that a hidden file exists
in that directory and wonder why on earth Amarok isn't scanning that
directory.

The other thing to figure out is whether to make such exclusions
recursive or not. I would generally suggest yes, because people can then
individually add subfolders of such directories to the collection and
they would still be scanned (since they'd be passed as separate paths
into the scanner). But I'm interested in thoughts.

--Jeff