amarok doesn't see all the audio files on my Sansa E260 (includes a patch)

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sun Oct 11 15:29:27 UTC 2009

Aran Cox wrote:
> It did help.  I thought that it was still missing my m4a (audio/mp4)
> files but I was mistaken.  Actually what is happening is that some of
> my files are showing up with a mime-type of application/octet-stream.
> These files include every flac I've attempted to copy to the device
> and a couple of random mp3 files.  Amarok and my Rockbox'ed Sansa E260
> can play these files, but the UmsHandler won't scan them because they
> don't look like audio files.  I don't usually copy flac's to my Sansa
> of course but the Sansa will play them.

application/octet-stream is a default mime type for when it can't be
determined. This could signal a problem with the flac files...not sure.
It would be good if there was a way to check a file against the
shared-mime-info directory directly -- I don't know if there is, but if
you can find one, see what is returned. Also compare that to the output
of "file" run on those files. It could be a bug in the s-m-i database.

> Also, if you attempt to use amarok to copy a file with a format not
> listed in formats it will say the file is already on the device, not
> that the file format isn't supported which is the real reason the code
> refused to copy them.

xevix: ^