amarok doesn't see all the audio files on my Sansa E260 (includes a patch)

Aran Cox arancox at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:54:58 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 10/10/09 11:02 did gyre and gimble:
>>> This sounds like an issue i came across a couple years ago
>>
>> s/a couple years/about a year/
>
> Yeah, another fricking shared-mime-info issue.
>
> The problem is that the shared-mime-info database returns very specific
> (and AFAICT not actually defined in any official specs) mime strings,
> which it then defines as sub-types of more legitimate mime types.
>
> So in this case audio/x-vorbis+ogg is deifed as a subtype of audio/ogg,
> which itself is defined as a subtype of application/ogg -- which is
> arguably what it should actually be returning in the first place.
>
> If you look at the KMimeType docs, under ::is(), you see:
>
> "Do not use name()=="somename" anymore, to check for a given mimetype"
>
> Unfortunately, the code is doing just that.
>
> I should mention that some of the types in that list should probably
> still be updated. For instance, it uses application/x-ogg, which is
> defined as an alias for application/ogg, so might as well just use
> application/ogg. And the parent levels should always be what are in that
> list, so that checking using ::is(), which takes into account
> inheritance, should work.
>
> Anyways, I've committed some changes in fd111a2. Please let me know if
> this helps.

It did help.  I thought that it was still missing my m4a (audio/mp4)
files but I was mistaken.  Actually what is happening is that some of
my files are showing up with a mime-type of application/octet-stream.
These files include every flac I've attempted to copy to the device
and a couple of random mp3 files.  Amarok and my Rockbox'ed Sansa E260
can play these files, but the UmsHandler won't scan them because they
don't look like audio files.  I don't usually copy flac's to my Sansa
of course but the Sansa will play them.

Also, if you attempt to use amarok to copy a file with a format not
listed in formats it will say the file is already on the device, not
that the file format isn't supported which is the real reason the code
refused to copy them.