Testing Request for KDE+PulseAudio users

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Oct 6 19:45:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 13:25 +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> Considering of how litte use pulseaudio is

I would say it has perhaps been rushed to market a bit too soon. There
is no doubt that it has bugs and that, often, uninstalling it solves
problems.

However, I wouldn't say that it is of little use. What it mainly does
(other than networked audio) is allow multiple inputs and multiple sound
cards. For instance, if I run amarok without pulseaudio, then no other
sound apps can work. I rather like hearing the beep when my Kalarm
windows pop up. As someone else pointed out, it is also of use when you
have multiple sound cards; I have never been able to get this to work.
(I can't directly say that it works with pulseaudio either because I
don't have a need for it at the moment; it's been a while since I tried.
I'm going on second-hand reports there).

pulseaudio has improved a lot since I first got it installed for me with
Fedora 10. I won't claim it is free of major bugs yet though.

--Greg