Testing Request for KDE+PulseAudio users

Myriam Schweingruber myriam.schweingruber at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:52:06 UTC 2009

Hi Anne,

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 14:18, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> From my point of view, PulseAudio is causing more problems than it
>> solves. The issues with ALSA should be solved in ALSA itself. Or we
>> could investigate using OSS 4.
>>

>> PS:
>> This here is a bit off-topic, as we already have PulseAudio right now
>> in many distros, and we need to fix Phonon to make it work properly
>> with it. Still, the points Allan raised are valid and interesting.
>>
> Do bear in mind that satisfied customers rarely comment.  For lots of us
> pulseaudio causes little or no problem.  I'm not denying that it isn't good
> for everyone, but the picture may not be as black as you think, based on what
> you read.

Well, then you missed all the countless bug reports on b.k.o.and angry
users we have seen in #amarok, #amarok.de, #amarok.fr, #kubuntu and
#kubuntu.de (channels I am subscribed to) because Pulseaudio disabled
their soundcards and killed their sound. And I bet there is even more
under the hood. I clearly remember that we support people handled up
to 20+ cases a day over several weeks.

I fully agree with Alan, having personally experienced sound problems
galore due to pulseaudio on a system that simply doesn't need it.
There are less than 1% of users out there who need network sound
enabled, so forcing pulseaudio on everybody is a very, very bad idea
IMHO. Also, Phonon can configure the sound with great accuracy, no
alsa tweaking needed in most of the cases. Pulseaudio is most of the
time little to not configured at all for the use in KDE and seems not
exactly to have been developed with KDE in mind, information I
gathered from the main developer in his talk at GCDS.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org