Amarok 2.2 "Sunjammer" released

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Oct 2 21:00:47 UTC 2009

Eric Altendorf wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Martin Sandsmark <sandsmark at samfundet.no> wrote:
>> On Friday 2. October 2009 10.09.25 İşbaran Akçayır wrote:
>>> Actually most people are not interested in these fancy stuff..
>> It is good to see that you have done an extensive study on Amarok users and
>> their needs and wants. Care to share the raw data you've collected with us
>> mere mortals? :-)
>
> Please, I don't want to be argumentative, but it doesn't take a study
> to figure out that people want a reliable collection scan, lack of
> crashing, reliable sound backend integration, etc. -- basic
> functionality -- before drag-and-drop's and widgets and gizmos.

It doesn't take you telling us that people want reliability for us to be
aware of this. And I hate to tell you this, but for a large number of
users, you're flat out wrong. (But this doesn't mean we don't agree with
you).

> That said, I'm mostly commenting on the attitude I see bouncing around
> here a lot.  In fact, Amarok 2 has, in the past year or so, gone from
> completely unusable to a pretty decent player.  In particular, it
> seems to be better than anything else available for Linux.

Glad you're liking it.

> My only really significant remaining gripes are:
> - continuing scan issues / db corruption

You should really try 2.2. If you're still having issues with 2.2, file
a bug report (a new one).

> - crashes a couple times a week, which are not a huge problem because
> I can restart pretty quickly, but when I have friends over, I am
> embarrassed by comments like "piece of crap open source junk, get
> windows" :(

If you can get good backtraces (i.e. with debug info) and/or they are
repeatable, do be sure to file a bug report and let us know...

--Jeff