Amarok 2.2 "Sunjammer" released

Eric Altendorf ericaltendorf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:05:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Martin Sandsmark <sandsmark at samfundet.no> wrote:
> On Friday 2. October 2009 10.09.25 İşbaran Akçayır wrote:
>> Actually most people are not interested in these fancy stuff..
>
> It is good to see that you have done an extensive study on Amarok users and
> their needs and wants. Care to share the raw data you've collected with us
> mere mortals? :-)

Please, I don't want to be argumentative, but it doesn't take a study
to figure out that people want a reliable collection scan, lack of
crashing, reliable sound backend integration, etc. -- basic
functionality -- before drag-and-drop's and widgets and gizmos.  It is
at its core a music player, and it should at least be able to do that
reliably, and for a long time, for many people, it has not.

That said, I'm mostly commenting on the attitude I see bouncing around
here a lot.  In fact, Amarok 2 has, in the past year or so, gone from
completely unusable to a pretty decent player.  In particular, it
seems to be better than anything else available for Linux.

My only really significant remaining gripes are:
- continuing scan issues / db corruption
- failure to play FLAC's from the beginning (a phonon bug, sigh)
- crashes a couple times a week, which are not a huge problem because
I can restart pretty quickly, but when I have friends over, I am
embarrassed by comments like "piece of crap open source junk, get
windows" :(

--eric