Question about capturing webcast radio stations

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Mon May 25 07:08:43 UTC 2009

Dear readers,
Please read this carefully, and then consider this matter closed for discussion.

There is no problem discussing stream ripping integration in Amarok.
It is not an illegal activity to record streams. There may be a
copyright infringement depending on the circumstance of the situation,
but that is irrelevant. It may be illegal to murder someone with a
knife, but that does not make it illegal for me to own a knife or use
it in lawful circumstances. A more analogous example would be an
installation of a torrent application on my machine - having access to
it does not infer that I am using it for copyright infringement (I
could be downloading my favourite distro's iso).

Discussing enhancements to Amarok is, of course, allowed and
encouraged. Whether or not they are deemed good and worthwhile
enhancements is a different matter.

Posting material which directly exhibits copyright infringement will
not be tolerated. For example: command line applications with full
usage examples on how to "rip your favourite copyright protected
stream".

Please hold off from your own opinions as to what you "think is
lawful" in your country. If there is no explicit breach of copyright
going on then don't get too flustered by it. If you can't handle the
injustice of the world then maybe the internet isn't the place for
you.

Regards,
Seb

Seb Ruiz