cmake and amarok

Martin T. Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Sat May 16 18:46:11 UTC 2009

On Saturday 16. May 2009 18:46:01 Donn Washburn wrote:
> It seems that the latest versions of Amarok fail to compile about 75 %
> of the time.  I have notice that all newer version use "cmake" and avoid
> "autoconf".  With autoconf at least you get a log file to look at and
> find if something is missing.  With cmake it is a guess at best.
> CmakeCache.txt is is easy to edit but offers no clue as to why a compile
> fails.  I have 2.0.90 and 2.0.96 and a 2.0.96.rpm.

What fails? CMake? Or the build? If you want more information from the build,
pass VERBOSE=1 to make (like “make VERBOSE=1” in your build direrctory).

There should also be a log file for errors in
$builddir/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log and for normal output in
$builddir/CMakefiles/CMakeOutput.log

CMake isn't responsible for building. On Linux, GNU Make usually is.

> Doing the rpm SuSE 11.2 complains the amaroklib has a problem.
> Therefore, after solving all of the rpm's dependencies and still seeing
> the lib problem, I was going to compile 2.0.96.  I have the latest
> taglibs and all the rpm depends.  90/96 failed to compile for unknown
> reasons.

If the cmake stage fails, cmake should say rather clearly what is wrong.

If the building stage files, it should say rather clearly what went wrong too.

> Maybe I am missing something with cmake.  Question is why is it becoming
> the defacto standard.  Automake, Autoconf, aclocal and automake and
> amarok seemed to work.

Autohell is not really something you want :-P

Also, it doesn't work on all platforms Amarok supports, like Windows.

> enclosed is a copy of the err.  This happened on every line on it's way
> to Error 1

A bit of context would be nice.

--
martin t. sandsmark