No sound in Amarok since upgrade

Kevin B. O'Brien zwilnik at zwilnik.com
Wed May 13 20:59:42 UTC 2009

I have used Amarok as my "jukebox" for a couple of years, but since
upgrading to Kubuntu Jaunty with KDE 4 and Amarok 2, I get no sound. I
have sound in Miro and some other movie apps, so it is not a hardware
problem. There is a clue that it is due to Pulse Audio lingering on
somehow, but I don't know how to get rid of the last traces if that is
the case.

1. I do have the xine-phonon backend installed, version 0.2.60
2. I do have libxine1-ffmpeg installed, though I am trying to play OGG
files so it should not matter.
3. On the first tab of the multimedia screen, Device Preference, there
is a listing for PulseAudio as one of the devices. It was #3 on the
list, but I pushed it down to the bottom. I cannot find any way to
remove anything from this list.
4. When I try "apt-get remove pulseaudio", it comes back with a message
that pulseaudio is not installed, so it cannot be removed.

Of course, Murphy's Law being the force that rules the universe, this
problem had to crop up on the one machine that I have set up as a music
jukebox using Amarok. I'm trying to find a way to get Phonon to work
properly, and I hope someone has an idea.

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
zwilnik at zwilnik.com      Linux User #333216

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to
keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway