Fwd: Amarok doesn't play sound, was Re: (no subject)

Andrew Stromme andrew.stromme at gmail.com
Sun May 3 12:27:36 UTC 2009

On Sunday 03 May 2009 05:44:57 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> FYI, sent privately by error
>
> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 22:40,  <iiro.wasen at saunalahti.fi> wrote:
> > I updated my ubuntu for the 9.0.4 version it came with the Amarok version
> > 2.0.2. When I try to play the music on Amarok it shows the message "Too
> > many errors encountered in playlist. Playback stopped.". The music did
> > play on the older Amarok version. I have checked that it reads the music
> > from the right folder. Every other music players seem to work just fine.
> > And lastly the music is in .mp3.

We've had many reports of pulseaudio preventing phonon from working correctly.
You can try removing pulseaudio with 'sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio'.
Additionally, ensure that you have the relevant xine packages installed (off
the top of my head libxine-ffmpeg or something like that) and that you have
selected Xine as your Phonon backend in System Settings -> Multimedia ->
Backend (after all this you might need to log out and in again or even reboot)

Andrew Stromme

Also note that you should always reply to the list amarok at kde.org in addition
to whoever you are sending the message to.