GSoC project: New meta-applets for the Context View

Leonardo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Fri Mar 27 14:00:43 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 13:30:24 Kevin Funk wrote:
> Hi Amarokers,

Hi krf :)

> my name is Kevin Funk, I'm a Applied Computer Science student at the
> University of Applied Sciences in Zweibrücken (Germany) in my third
> semester now. Some people may already know me from #amarok (Freenode)
> and/or working on Amarok in general (bug fixing, etc.).
>
> So here is my application for the "New meta-applets for the Context View"
> project for GSoC.
>
> Motivation for Proposal / Goal:
> Some people may already know that I am not really comfortable with Amarok's
> current visual appearance and I am trying to fix that issue whereever I
> can. And I think improving the Context View is a major step into this
> direction.
>
> Implementation Details:
> I really like the mockup of that guy here [1] and I think its a good start
> to describe what my idea looks like. The right picture in [2] shows the
> Meta applet I'd like to implement.
> I know that this means also a refactor of the Context View which I'm going
> to do aswell as a part of this project (I don't really think the current
> 3-panes- view is _that_ useful aswell, for different reasons, sorry).

Well, this is not really an application or a proposal. It's  more of a
statement of interest, it seems to me. You need to be clear on what you want
to do---and how you are thinking of doing it.

The meta-applet project (which is sort of my baby) relies heavily on the
visual aspect---in a lot of ways, that is the central component o the project.
So it is very important to have a visual goal in mind as a part of the
proposal, which will of course be iteratively improved after discussions with
artists and usability people. However, I don't think it's really enough to
just point to that mockup, so please be specific wrt. how you want the meta-
applets to look. Also, just 1 applet is not a lot of work for 12 weeks, so you
should consider various sets of information that could be grouped together
into an applet. I would think 2 or 3 would be a good number to focus on here.

The proposal also needs to show that you have spent some time looking at the
implementation details---obviously, you're familiar with parts of the amarok
source, but the CV is quite different from the rest and has it's  own
considerations.

Finally, you also need a timeline that breaks down the parts of your project
into more manageable pieces. Doing this will force you to be very clear about
what needs to be done, and also provides a blueprint for your progress as the
summer progresses.

Take a look at the samples from last year (xevix and casey's) here:
http://tinyurl.com/socsample and http://tinyurl.com/socsample2

cheers,
leo

-----