GSoC Proposal : Video-clip applet in Amarok 2.X context-view

Simon ESNEAULT simon.esneault at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:59:27 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Here is a very first draft for a GSoC proposal, what do you think about it ?

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------\\

framework allows a very good integration with related website such as
last.fm, magnatune, jamendo, etc ...
But it lacks integration with website who provide video-clip (youtube,
dailymotion, myspace tv, etc). Especially, it would be nice to visualize the
video clip streaming of the current track directly in a context view applet,
and to have some basic integration (view comment, rate, etc ...) with at
least youtube.com services.

Project :
3 main point for this project :
- Create a plasma video player applet which can play video stream. A video
widget can be integrated in a graphic scene (canvas, base of amarok context
view) by sub classing a QGraphicProxyWidget. Some test are needed though.
- Create a Data Engine which retrieve videos streaming URL from the
different website and order them relevantly (name correspondence, but also
popularity, rating, etc.) Plasma data engine allows us to retrieve
dynamically informations from websites, and then to easily use them in an
amarok context view applet
- Create the GUI and the final applet with the video player, links to the
original page, preview of the other videos, comment and rate if available

Projected Time line :
Study Period:
4/15 - 5/14: Continue to read code and playground

Work Period:
5/15 - 6/14: Revamp the old video applet and make it work with flash video
stream
6/15 - 7/14: Build the Data Engine and use statistics or something to order
video clip
7/15 - 8/15: Build the GUI
8/15 – 9/01: Clean, document, test code
Background:

I'm a PhD student in medical image processing in Rennes, France. I'm a
fervent user of KDE and Amarok since 3 year now, and have helped for some
bug and committed some patch for amarok. I'm familiar with Qt, plasma and
amarok code since 1 year now, and daily work on a C++ for a medical imaging
project.
Also a very big fan of music, I don't like to fire-up an internet browser
just to see what does the video-clip of my favorite songs look like, i think
it would be easier if everything is integrated, and this will surely make
amarok even better.

Until may 15, I'll be and assistant professor in computer science so can
dedicate time only to
planning and playground a little, but after that I am free to work 10 to 20
hours per week on
Amarok. As for mentoring, I'm used to work with e-mail and chat.

That's all, any suggestion/critism is very welcome !

Have a nice day
Simon

Simon Esneault
Laboratoire Traitement du Signal et de l'Image, (LTSI, UMR-INSERM 642)
Université de Rennes I, Campus de Beaulieu,
35042 Rennes Cedex, France.
Tel : +33 (0)6 64 61 30 94
Mail : simon.esneault at univ-rennes1.fr