GSOC - intelligent playlists

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sun Mar 1 20:39:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 21:33, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
> (note: this is my personal opinion, not that of the project)
>
> I don't think we should have an "intelligent playlist" SoC project
> this summer. We had Daniel implement the Dynamic Playlists last
> summer, with the fuzzy and proportional biases. We have Soren who has
> been independently working on an automatic playlist generation system
> that is close to ready (it just needs a LOOOT of UI love/usability
> work). I believe we have a strong foundation for "new and cool"
> intelligent playlists, and we should look into polishing what we have
> and making it better instead of having yet another framework.
>
> i don't want to discourage you from participating in the SoC (it's
> awesome!), but i just feel like we should try to use our very-limited
> SoC spots to new features or essential work.
>
> my 2 cents. thoughts?

I very much agree. Please take part in SoC. We really want to make it
rock again this year. But just like Leo I believe that yet another
system for random playlists is not the project Amarok needs the most
and we have only a very limited number of slots to give away to a lot
of very good students so we have to choose wisely. Currently
regression testing and work on media devices are most important for
Amarok in my opinion. (If that is not what you want to work on that's
fine of course.)
Let us know if we can help you refine any ideas you have.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher