Q: dynamic playlist of unrated songs

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Jun 30 22:30:05 UTC 2009

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Gary Steinert said the following at 06/29/2009 01:50 PM :
>
>> Could we not (talking from a visual side here) give some indication to the
>> user that the track is unrated other than having no stars. The first idea that
>> comes to mind is simply writing 'Unrated' across the stars (see the attached
>> screenshot) This would remove any ambiguity and allow people to rate a track 0
>> stars.
>
> YES.

MAYBE.

> If people decide to insist on zero rating being the same as unrated

They don't.  You can't rate something zero.  The fact that there's no
distinction in the UI is indeed a UI problem, but it doesn't change the
fundamental fact that you cannot rate something zero currently.  I wish
people would stop insisting that people are insisting that a "zero"
rating is the same as "unrated", because no one is insisting it in the
first place.

>> Also, just to give a scenario when 0 stars would be useful. I, more often than
>> not, get music by the album, and I hate having incomplete albums in my
>> collection (no idea why, just really annoys me =P). So every once in a while I
>> get an awesome album with a track I absolutely hate. I dont want to remove it
>> from my collection because its part of the album, but I would rate it 0,
>> rather than 1 which suggests I actually like something about it =P.
>
> You're talking about "Revolution #9", right? :-) Or am I showing my age?
>
> And that's exactly what I want to do, too.

It was a silly argument, and it's still a silly argument.

You might convince me that a rating of "zero" is something needed, but
it won't be "because I want to rate something lower than the lowest
rating", which doesn't carry any more water than wanting to be able to
rate something 11 because this one goes up to 11.

--Jeff