Why is lastfm a required dependency?

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 06:51:00 UTC 2009

I'd like to point out soon Amarok's Context View will likely pull the
majority of the artist information (like wikipedia now) from last.fm
through liblastm. In addition, when we can no longer use Amazon as a
source for album covers (August or September) the best alternative is
last.fm (as has been discussed and decided on this list before).

There is no reason why the Last.fm Service in Amarok can't be disabled
if a user/distro doesn't want to include it. However, liblastfm will
be used to power critical non-optional features of Amarok (Context
info and Covers) in the imminent future.

Casey