Why is lastfm a required dependency?

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Tue Jun 23 13:06:41 UTC 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 10:21 PM, Thrash Dude wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:19:37 -0400, Leo Franchi wrote:
>

>> We are using liblastfm as a dependency because:
>>
>> a) Building libraries internally is stupid and just leads to bloat b)
>> Sharing code amongst different system processes is a *good thing*.
>
> And having yet another package split out from Amarok that also needs
> be tracked is better?
>
> This makes at least 3 split out packages that now need to be tracked.
> Instead of needing to track a single package (Amarok) you now have to
> track 4 packages to get the exact same effect. That looks like bloat
> me.

Bloat would be bundling these 3 packages inside amarok so that any
other project that also wants to use them needs to install it
themselves as well. That would lead to multiple copies of the same
library on your system AND loaded in RAM, which is most definitely
bloat.

Breaking out dependencies allows projects to share them. That is a
good thing.

leo