db volume scaling

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Tue Jun 9 17:32:59 UTC 2009

> If we go that route I would suggest having the percent-based
> be the default, as it is probably more intuitive to more people (because
> that's pretty much been the precedent over the years for media player
> apps).

speaking about other media players, i would be curious, how the mapping
from percentage to amplitude factor is done in other applications?
i could imagine:
- percentage == amplitude factor
- percentage mapped via stevens' law
- percentage mapped to a decibel range

i would try to avoid to make it more configurable, but maybe do some
user test with different scalings ... one could quickly write prototype
in supercollider, pure-data or something similar ...

cheers, tim

tim at klingt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

The most wonderful opportunity which life offers is to be human.
  Henry Miller