amarok 1.4

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Jul 16 22:07:50 UTC 2009

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
>     How can you  turn a almost perfect program into a terrible Itunes-clone?

> Ok, so maybe not... But on a more serious note, I actually find the
> "Itunes-clone" part funny as Amarok 2 IMO looks much less like itunes
> than Amarok 1.4.x did.

Chris, if you want to see an iTunes clone, look at aTunes or Banshee or
Songbird or even Rhythmbox or JuK. Amarok ain't it.

>     The first thing which is really bad is this weird column in the
>     center of the window, one cannot get rid of. Then there are a
>     thousand functions missing.

A thousand! Golly-gee, that's more functions than I knew Amarok to have
in the first place!

>     I hope there are developers out there who will continue developing
>     "Amarok 1.4." AS IT IS (which definitely is a program that is a
>     hundred thousand times better, more extensible and more comfortable).

Go for it, Chris. I wish you luck. I'm sure you've never looked at the
codebase, but I will tell you that it was stretched to the breaking
point with features it was never designed to support, which is why
Amarok 2 was such a major rewrite so that things are easily extensible
for current and future needs. But I'm sure you know better about Amarok
1.4 than us long-time devs, and you can pile on a hundred thousand more
features.

Or go use Exaile and stop your melodramatic whining.

Yes, two emails in a row where I call out melodrama from users. What can
I say, I just calls it likes I sees it.

-Jeff