Q: dynamic playlist of unrated songs

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Jul 2 00:56:13 UTC 2009

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Jeff Mitchell said the following at 06/30/2009 04:30 PM :
>> D. R. Evans wrote:

>>> YES.
>> MAYBE.
>
> :-) "YES" was shorthand for "If I had a vote it would be resoundingly in
> favour".

And "MAYBE" was shorthand for "that's an idea, but some people have
already objected to such an idea on this very thread, so we'd have to
figure it out, perhaps consulting usability people".

> Having only recently subscribed here, I forgot that the shorthands that I'm
> used to seeing on more technical technical reflectors may not be readily
> interpreted here the way that I intend. I apologise for that assumption.
>
>>> If people decide to insist on zero rating being the same as unrated
>> They don't.  You can't rate something zero.  The fact that there's no
>> distinction in the UI is indeed a UI problem, but it doesn't change the
>> fundamental fact that you cannot rate something zero currently.  I wish
>> people would stop insisting that people are insisting that a "zero"
>> rating is the same as "unrated", because no one is insisting it in the
>> first place.
>
> Yes they are. See
> <34d6dcc20906281822t453980a7q64a4761086da006a at mail.gmail.com>.

See what now?

Is this a dev, or a user?

>>> You're talking about "Revolution #9", right? :-) Or am I showing my age?
>>>
>>> And that's exactly what I want to do, too.
>> It was a silly argument, and it's still a silly argument.
>
> Well thank you.

No problem.

> So do you rate the argument zero? Or is it unrated? Or rated ½?

I rate the argument the lowest valid rating.

> And can you perhaps give an objective explanation for why it's silly?

Yes.  The statement that "rating it 1/2 suggests I like something about
it" is totally stupid, because if 1/2 is the lowest rating you can give
the track, it's pretty clear that you don't like anything about the
track, because you can't rate it any lower.  This isn't a valid reason
why the lowest rating possible must be zero.

>> You might convince me that a rating of "zero" is something needed, but
>> it won't be "because I want to rate something lower than the lowest
>> rating", which doesn't carry any more water than wanting to be able to
>> rate something 11 because this one goes up to 11.
>
> "because I want to rate something lower than the lowest rating" -- where
> did that quote come from? I can't find it and I'm certain I didn't say it.

Stop it.  Using quotes doesn't mean it's a direct quote, and you know it.

--Jeff