last.fm tracks inserted into playlist

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 23:16:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Jud Craft <craftjml at gmail.com> wrote:
> Noted, but what a shame that there are restrictions on how to actually
> display the information retrieved from Last.FM.  If they don't want
> you to display that information, retrieving it just simply shouldn't
> be possible.
>
> It's a little unfortunate to prefer developers to voluntarily cripple
> presentation of a service, even though the uncrippled information
> itself is there.  Creates an arbitrary compliance that will cause
> problems (in thsi case, for Last.FM) precisely because compliance is
> arbitrary.  Amarok is kind to respect their wishes though.

I think you are misunderstanding something here.
As I understood it when talking with Max the reason for this is that
licensing costs (from major labels and so on) are completely different
for "radio" (ie: you can't decide what you want to hear but a dj
decides it for you) and "on demand listening" (ie: you listen to
whatever you want). Now what you want is basically on demand while
paying for radio only. If last.fm encourages this they can get into
serious trouble and it might be the end of all this nice radio stuff
in Amarok and everywhere else. The Amarok team does not want to do
that just to work around a small annoyance that is no problem at all
for a lot of people.

Cheers
Lydia

--