Last.fm global tags to labels (or whatever)

José Tomás Atria jtatria at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:05:58 UTC 2009

Hello all,

(pardon any impertinence, this is my first post here, so sorry in
advance for any netiquette violations)

I have a feature request and i wanted to propose it here to see if
there's 1.- anything already imlpemented that could offer the same
functionality or 2.- if there's anyone interested in developing it (or
teach me how to do it perhaps?).

Is there any possibility to import last.fm global tags for objects and
save them in some form in amarok's collection, so they can be used as
criteria in dynamic playlists?

I know that the last.fm API offers artist.getTags album.getTags and
track.getTags methods, and i am aware that in amarok 1.x there was
some work on a "labels" feature, but this was dropped in/hasn't been
ported to amarok2.

Looking for this in the intwerwebz, i found several scripts that offer
some similar functionality, but they do not do exactly what i want,
and they work only for the 1.x series. this is what i found:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=44547 is a
stand-alone script that fetches last.fm user tags for tracks in the
collection, and makes playlists with them, and then copies this
playlists to amarok's playlist folder. It doesn't use global tags, and
makes playlists, wich is useless for dynamic playlists (the main
motivation behind this).

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-announce-apps/2006-November/000578.html
similar to the above in that it uses your own personal tags, but
stores them in COMM fields in id3 tags, which can then be used to make
dynamic playlists.

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Last.Fm+Genre+Tagger?content=78974
takes the most-common tag for an album and uses that as GENRE field in
id3.

The script/program/feature/plugin that i have in mind would retrieve
all tags associated to any object (track, album, artist) and save them
in some manner for amarok to use in dynamic playlists.

I think the easiest way to save them would be to use COMM fields, as
script 2 above, but ideally, it would be sweet if one could somehow
save the prevalence of certain tags in the tag cloud associated to any
object (ie, "electronic" as name, and some measure of the tag use in
association to the song as parameter), instead of just saving the XX
most common tags as a list, but i understand that this could be
pushing the limits of last.fm's API or of id3 a little bit too much...

well, any comments are welcome. I believe this could be a killer
feature if properly implemented, i hope someone else has use for this.

I am no programmer, but i am willing to learn if no one is up for the
challenge (i hear python could be very suitable for this kinda app).

Best regards,

Gorgonzola.

--
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem