Feature request (or maybe I'm missing something)

Christie Harris christie.harris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 11:14:17 UTC 2009

On 08/01/2009, at 9:29 PM, Mark Kretschmann wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:41 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>> I am an instructor and I put together sound tracks for my classes.
>>
>> A lot of the time I need a track of a specific length to fit with a
>> drill we're doing.  I use amarok to compose the playlist and it works
>> great - except for one small detail.
>>
>> I'd like to be able to mouse over a song in the collection and get
>> the
>> tag data - length, genre, whatever.
>>
>> Can this be done now?  Do I need to turn on mouse-over popups or
>> something?
>
> It cannot be done now. Technically it could be done with a "tooltip"
> widget.
>
> I do find your idea interesting, and I'm trying to imagine if it could
> be useful to others too. In general it could be handy to show some tag
> data in a tooltip. However, I see a risk of this becoming too annoying
> and distracting if you just want to browse your collection.
>

> What do others on this list think about the idea?

I think it's an interesting idea - I think it's been tossed around a
couple of times since the early days of A2, and would be a handy
extension to the standard (current) playlist view.

re: annoyance factor, as with the OSD, tooltips could be configurable
couldn't they? In terms of time elapsed before tooltip is displayed, I
mean.

You could restrict tooltips to only the playlist initially, since
that's where most people would probably want them - and they could
also be used for showing stream info when playing non-local tracks.

I'd use 'em!

Christie (Who *does* still keep up with Amarok, just not as regularly
at the moment, and who has less than two weeks until baby no. 2 is
born :-D )