Absolutely awesome plasmoid idea: the playlist itself

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 22:48:59 UTC 2009

On Wed January 7 2009 4:40:39 pm Orville Bennett wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Robert Smits wrote:
> > On December 21, 2008 04:38:12 pm Jud Craft wrote:
> >> I was messing around with the panes (just upgraded to Fedora 10 and
> >> Amarok 2) when I noticed the look of the UI after collapsing the
> >> playlist pane.  And I thought...hmm...looks awesome.  See attached.
> >>
> >> So here's the killer idea.  Why not make the playlist itself a
> >> plasmoid?  Then you can give the user the ability to arrange his
> >> music
> >> workspace any way he wants, without the feeling of an arbitrary
> >> "third
> >> pane" tacked on.
> >
> > Why do you assume that we think plasmoids are a "great idea"? Or
> > that we are
> > using desktops that even have them? The current state of KDE4 does not
> > encourage one to adopt it, and a great many of us aren't interested
> > in it at
> > all.
>
> BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRNED. Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
> In any case Bob (may I call you Bob?) has a good point here...

Except it wasn't a good burn or even a very good point.

a) it wasn't a good point because:

With regard to "The current state of KDE4 does not encourage one to adopt it",
the specific complaint usually provided to "why not use KDE 4" is "it doesn't
have this specific feature $foo like in KDE 3.5.x", and that complaint is
*really* irrelevant in this context because Plasma simply didn't exist—there's
no way you could have (or would) have used KDesktop in the same way (i.e.
embedded into Amarok). You'd have to go with the way 1.4 did it, and that
wasn't as nice as plasma, in my opinion (see below).

The reason it'd be a "great idea" to move the playlist into a plasmoid is that
it would allow more efficient use of screen real estate.  Furthermore, plasmoids
in general are a "great idea" because they allow users to easily customize
their music player in a way that was simply not possible in Amarok 1.4, and
they allow for cool new things very easily, since all you have to do is write
a plasmoid for it, not find a way to add it into some other part of Amarok and
try not to clutter up the UI. And, looking into the (distant) future, someday
it might even be possible to download extra QtScript plasmoids with GHNS.

As to "using desktops that have them", you don't have to use plasma as your
desktop, you just have to have the plasma libraries installed. Moving the
playlist into a plasmoid does not change this one bit; you'd have to have
those libraries anyways unless Amarok completely gave up plasma, which I think
is totally unlikely.

b) it wasn't a good burn because it didn't make a good point and it wasn't
witty or funny in some other way to make up for that. e.g. if there was a
clever pun or something in the message, that might make up for the lack of a
point.

Henry