Unable to migrate embedded db to external mysql.

tris_r trisroger at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 07:23:18 UTC 2009

Hi all.

First I wanted to check that I was barking up the right tree with what I
wanted to do.   Got a new HTPC for xmas and want it's instance of Amarok to
read / write and interact with the amarok database on my office PC that I've
had for some time.  i.e rate a song on the office pc and the rating appears
on the other.  I figured that using the new external mysql db on both
pointing the HTPC's amarok database to the mysql server on the office pc
would allow me to do this.

If I'm wrong or you have any other suggestions / hints / gotchas please feel
free to let me know.

So...  following instructions I found here
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_Server
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_Server  I've created an amarokdb database
in mysql, populated it and can see the table structure in mysql so that is
fine.

I'm getting stuck on the bottom bit when trying to export my old embedded
data into the new external db specifically the first step of trying to start
a mysql daemon.

~/.kde/share/apps/amarok$ /usr/sbin/mysqld --defaults-file=`pwd`/my.cnf
--default-storage-engine=MyISAM --datadir=`pwd`/mysqle --socket=`pwd`/sock
--skip-grant-tables

Could not open required defaults file:
/home/tris/.kde/share/apps/amarok/my.cnf
Fatal error in defaults handling. Program aborted
091226 16:18:12 [Warning] Can't create test file
/home/tris/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle/vostok.lower-test
091226 16:18:12 [Warning] Can't create test file
/home/tris/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle/vostok.lower-test
091226 16:18:12 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled
091226 16:18:12  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file
operation.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue  operation.

There seems to be a couple of warnings / errors that come up and I've tried
a few things like stopping the running mysql service, playing with
permissions of the ./mysqle dir etc but I think that the main concern is
that the my.cnf file in the base directory is empty and doesn't contain any
configuration.

Can anyone specify what is supposed to be in that file or have any other
hints about what it be.

Thanks

Oh and Merry Christmas and many thanks to everyone involved in bringing
Amarok to us all.