[Patch] "No grouping" checkbox in playlist layout

Téo Mrnjavac teo at getamarok.com
Sun Aug 30 15:11:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Tim Bocek<tim.bocek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm willing to give it a try, though I might be a bit short on time in the
> next few days and might not get it by string freeze, which IIRC is tomorrow
> (if I gathered correctly from the database junior job thread, I can't find a
> page on the InfoBase wiki that has this).

Yup, it's tomorrow.
> Just to clarify: on the UI side, you're asking me to remove the "No
> Grouping" checkbox and replace it with a "Group By" combo box that has:
> Artist
> Album
> Composer
> etc.
> No Grouping

Exactly.
> If so, some questions:  Does the menu at the bottom of the playlist window
> that already has these options stay, or do we remove it in favor of the
> combo box in the layout (I would vote to keep it, personally).
I had a pretty long discussion with other team members about this on
IRC, more than once actually, and we figured that it's best to
completely tie grouping into the layouts configuration for various
reasons, mostly to keep grouping consistent and to avoid cluttering
the interface.
So the grouping menu at the bottom of the playlist would be replaced
by the combobox in the playlist layout configuration dialog, and the
current grouping category would be saved in the playlist layout xml.
Each layout would incorporate a selected grouping category. We just
don't see many users switching grouping schemes on the fly without
switching layouts too, this is because the vast majority of grouping
schemes look just plain wrong with some layouts, and vice versa. So
the "No Grouping" layout would come with "No Grouping" as grouping
category, the "Default" layout would come with "Album" as grouping
category, and other grouping categories would be selectable if one
chooses to create an alternative layout.

> No worries about the sorting slip, I know what you meant ;)
>
> Thanks
> -Tim

Cheers
Téo