[Patch] "No grouping" checkbox in playlist layout

Tim Bocek tim.bocek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 22:52:18 UTC 2009

Hi,
Having finished up my thesis I now feel like I have free time to work on
whatever the hell code I want - and naturally Amarok is the first thing I
started hacking on :)  So here's a patch - not sure if it's wanted or not,
but I thought I'd hack it together and email it out just in the nick of time
for string freeze IIRC.

The patch adds a checkbox to the playlist layout that allows disabling of
the grouping feature.  Unless I'm missing something, previously users who
wanted no grouping needed to create an empty header, and duplicate the body
and single layouts.  Now, they just check this box.

Some questions:
1. This is enforced in the UI code currently.  Is this OK, or would it be
better to enforce somehow in PlaylistLayout.
2. Right now, if grouping is disabled and re-enabled, the playlist will have
the empty header and duplicated body/single layouts.  This might not be
desireable, e.g. if a user creates a layout with grouping, turns it off, and
turns it on again.  In this case, would it be more desireable to restore the
original layouts, or to have the head/body layouts reflect the settings to
turn off grouping?
3. If the previous questions or any other issues require fixes, can we at
least get the checkbox and associated string in there so this can ship with
2.2 (that is, if the patch is even wanted)?
4. Since I'm pretty new to FOSS development, anything I should have done
differently? (in other words, "hey guys im a n00b am i doin this rite?")

Thanks!
Tim Bocek

PS. Subscribed to the list, no need to CC me