talk about screwing the pooch!

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 12:36:33 UTC 2009

Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 05:05, Orville Bennett<illogical1 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>>> Hi William,
>>>
>>> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 23:49, william<whensley at frontiernet.net>    wrote:
>>> But before upgrading to an new
>>> version one should read release notes anyway, so don't blame us for
>>> your lack of information.
>> For serious? Where would someone find that in synaptic/update-manager?
>>
>> Or perhaps, users should quickly scribble things down as words fly by at
>> FTL speeds, and then go to the website for those hundreds of software
>> pkgs installed during a system upgrade.
>
> Oh come on, Orville, don't be a prick, you know very well that all
But... it's in my jeans (and they're oh so comfy)

> major updates have extensive websites and/or wikis with changelogs and
> descriptions of what is new, this should be read "before" upgrading to
> a major version, and you know that.
So you really do expect users to check what the new version of the
distro they're installing to: check what new version (if any) will be
installed, go to the website for each one, hunt down the changelog, and
then manually select whether or not they're going to install that
particular package (and don't forget any libraries it pulls in which
aren't removed when you unselect the parent program)

Oh, and they're supposed to do this how when updating kubuntu. Last I
checked you got the option to upgrade or not.

> of course this is not done during
> installation. If you buy e.g. a new washing machine you read the
> service description too and don't complain to the manufacturer
> afterwards that it doesn't work exactly like the old one you had...
Apples and oranges. You don't expect the store you buy your washing
machine in to test it and make sure it works. You do expect your distro
to do that (well, I sure do), and it is a reasonable expectation for
popular software.

> Coming from you I would expect a few more intelligent statements, all
> you did in the last months is making silly remarks, seriously, that
> sucks!
Well I for one, do expect fanboi-ism. Doesn't mean I'm going to let it
slide when it comes along. Otherwise open source software will never
attain the same level of perfection as we have gotten on the Mac platform.