talk about screwing the pooch!

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Mon Aug 17 09:22:28 UTC 2009

On August 16, 2009 01:35:10 pm Eric Altendorf wrote:

> > Hey! This has nothing to do with Linux or Windows. You changed versions
> > of the program and version 2.0 or later is different from version 1.4.
>
> Well, sort of.
>
> Most windows software vendors let you take your data with you when you
> upgrade to a new version of their software. :P  People have kind of
> come to expect basic niceties like that.

Hell, even Microsoft Office isn't completely compatible from version to
version. I can't even re-install old versions of my tax programs in Windows.

> It's about expectations.  Some people expect a music player that just
> works and doesn't require database import tools, custom configuration,
> or getting the latest built binary from git.  These people are not
> well served by any linux music player I've tried in the past 5 years
> or so, and I would have to recommend a different platform for them.

And Amarok 1.4 has met all those expectations for a long time. I never had to
worry about any of that for years, and still don't.

The Amarok 2 series is a major change, and still in development, and it's
unreasonable to expect that all the bugs will be out of it for some time
yet - it's the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. I think it's reasonable to
ask why amarok developers released Amarok 2.0 as early as they did, but
they're not alone.

Bob Smits, bob at rsmits.ca