talk about screwing the pooch!

Eric Altendorf ericaltendorf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 20:35:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Robert Smits<bob at rsmits.ca> wrote:
> On August 14, 2009 02:49:44 pm william wrote:
>> I spent nearly 9 months finding track info album cover and lyrics for my
>> entire collection with amarok 1.4 with Ubuntu 8.4 and 8.10. upgraded to
>> 9.4 and amarok 2 all gone albums no longer match covers artists no
>> longer match tracks, Ex. Amphetamine Annie is now by Andy Williams on 25
>> modern jazz greats??? Not even close! If this is the best you guys can
>> do I'm going back to windows
>
> Hey! This has nothing to do with Linux or Windows. You changed versions of the
> program and version 2.0 or later is different from version 1.4.

Well, sort of.

Most windows software vendors let you take your data with you when you
upgrade to a new version of their software. :P  People have kind of
come to expect basic niceties like that.

It's about expectations.  Some people expect a music player that just
works and doesn't require database import tools, custom configuration,
or getting the latest built binary from git.  These people are not
well served by any linux music player I've tried in the past 5 years
or so, and I would have to recommend a different platform for them.

--eric